11/12/2007

A Love Letter

While doing my morning blog run, I came across a black woman’s love letter to her hair. She wrote about how she appreciates it as a source of expression, a symbol of her ethnicity and womanhood.

At first I thought “that’s way dumb.” I love my hair too, but I’m not going out of my way to write it a letter, loser… but maybe I should. Maybe I should take time out and write a love letter to some part of my body. Not that part. Or those. something more meaningful.

“Hey thanks for the support, knees!” Nah. “Oh, collarbones you’re so hip and trendy!” No. “God, I haven’t seen you in forever, bony hips.” Nay. So this is what I’ve come up with:

Dear Feet,I’ve been awful to you. Truly I have. Where would I be without you? (besides in a chair) I am so sorry that for years I’ve been binding you up in strappy sandals, plastic-y flip flops, and all round torturous shoes, (unless that’s what you’re into) but you know I’ve been working on it. When was the last time I went clubbing in Megan’s pumps, hmm? I feel I owe you a special apology for that time when I went walking around the city in new flip flops in the rain. I totally didn’t expect that to happen. At all. (see pic) I would have taken a cab if I weren’t a freshman devoid of cash. Me and cabs are good friends now you see.

I really do appreciate you and I think you’re beautiful. I used to think your pinkies were a little weird looking, but everyone’s pinkies are weird. You’re beautifully weird… like Molly Ringwald in “Sixteen Candles.” And your big toe isn’t really that big, honestly. I should show you off. I should celebrate you. I should let people touch you once in a while. I think it’s way cute that you get fuzzy when I wear new socks. I like that I can paint all toes neatly with my right hand. And I like that I can play that piggy game with you-

This little piggy went to the market

This little piggy stayed home

This little piggy had tofurkey

And this little piggy had none

And *this* little pig went wee wee wee wee wee!

Ah, that one never gets old. *knee slap* I’m straying. What I want to say, feet, is that I do appreciate you because you’ve always been there for me. And you’re as pretty as they come. I love you.

Yours truly,

The ankles on up

p.s. IOU one pedi.

No comments: