3/20/2008

RANT: Hip Hop, Please Stop

I’m in love with Jay Smooth and his vlog the other day about the hip hop industry and their moral stance on the Spitzer chick’s record deal. And I gave Jay a virtual high five and then went on with my day. La la la.

And then I took a book out from the library entitled Packaging Girlhood: Saving Our Daughters from Marketers’ Schemes. I grabbed it from the shelf because I’m all about chicks being media literate and, ironically, I’m in marketing. I read a chapter and returned it because I couldn’t help but feel like the author’s messages sounded a lot like my mother’s whining about rap music. Blah blah blah.

And this is all well and good until today when I’m peeping on Hype Machine , and I hear the following three 6 mafia lyrics:

“See ho I don't dance
In the city where I'm from I wear the pants
These bitches think they cool
I got the dick so I make the rules
I got a big ol cock
I love a bitch with a big ol bra
She love suckin up cum
I think I'mma give her some”

Now I damn near inhale my mocha-choca latte. I’m not even really sure what to say about this. Yeah I’ve been told that rap is urban poetry. Hip hop is the voice of the people. It’s empowering. It’s an art form.

I’ve seen the Virgin Mary sculpted out of elephant shit and that was more appalling to me than this. There are days when I can harness the inner-feminazi and just enjoy a good rhyme, but darling, that day was not today.

I mean let’s break it down, line by line:

See ho I don't dance— I’m not down with ho, but we can let it slide, for art.
In the city where I'm from I wear the pants—sometimes I wear the pants, ok
These bitches think they cool -- yep
I got the dick so I make the rules -- uh. No. No, you don’t make the rules.
I got a big ol cock – men who brag about their dick usually aren’t good in bed, but I desist.
I love a bitch with a big ol bra – ehh. Ok. Yay for boobies!
She love suckin up cum -- …
I think I'mma give her some -- …

And right there. That’s where I flat-line.

Next time you see three 6 mafia, wipe your ass with their CD. Or better yet, skeet skeet skeet on it.

No comments: