3/18/2010

Book Worm

Some people read to escape the world, their lives, the ringing of the telephone, the incessant blurb in the bottom of your screen that tells you that you have another email, the screaming of your children. Some people open books at night so that they’ll think about a romance which pales in comparison to their own, or carpet rides, Arabian nights, a handsome vampire who will whisk you away from the angst you still feel when you think about high school.

Some people read to escape.

I read to remain. Books don’t take you away from the world; they bring you closer. They amplify the sounds of grass growing. They force your ears to the chests that hide beleaguered hearts, and bellies that churn with indecision. With gentle articulation, authors make the world tangible, graspable, digestible.

Books aren’t wings, they’re cement shoes.

8 comments:

konghalvor said...

Choose life...

RuiR said...

That was quite profound. I surely liked it. Thank you for sharing that thought.

theVan said...

I just stumbled about your blog. It's a nice thought about reading. I read several of your posts, I really like your way of expressing.
If you'd like to check out my blog, that's the link:
http://thevan-lanostalgie.blogspot.com/

jaibee said...

@theVan thanks for reading! I've checked out your blog and your photographs are great! I love the grass/flower pictuers.

clarebot said...

Hey, found your blog while searching for jeff goldblum (I was trying to make a point in an argument - your blog wasn't very helpful in that regard) but love this post and also excited to recognize some places (woody's et cetera) i miss philly i hope you're enjoying it.

jaibee said...

I think that 80% of readers have stumbled upon this blog because they were looking for "jeff goldblum." this is strange and amazing to me.

Alee said...

I LOVE reading and don't feel like people do enough of it these days.
aleesperspective.blogspot.com

Tanmana said...

That, I feel, is something that only some people feel about books and reading, people who read to satisfy their souls, and not just to be entertained, or, as you say, escape. To feel that way, one has to be a compulsive reader, to be able to live in the stories, recollect the thoughts.....it is almost like a gift, or perhaps a practice. Whatever it is, such a perception is truly a blessing, it makes one stronger, and calmer, and better equipped to tackle life as it comes.....kudos.